Three Legal Stories That May Keep You Up Tonight
Innocent Landlord Mistakes to Avoid
Here’s a Specialized RPM story of three landlords who oversaw their own Denton property management. Can you identify the legal issues in each?
- Sam rented for years, so he thought he knew all about property management. Denton landlords who knew him would often come to him for advice. He had a no-pet policy for his rental units, but when a tenant showed up with a service dog, he knew he had to permit the dog on the premises. So he charged a small cleaning fee and asked the tenant to sign an agreement to pay for damages.
- Theresia received a call one night from her tenants who were concerned about mold in the laundry room. She told them she would get right on it but had a big presentation at work the next day and promptly forgot. Three weeks later she called a certified mold specialist company and scheduled an appointment, but they were booking two weeks out. Five weeks later, they investigated and discovered black bold. A serious health concern.
- Erik worked as a manager of a manufacturing company in town, so he knew a few handymen and mechanics. When something went wrong at his rental, he would ask one of them to take a look at it and repair it if possible. They were happy for the side jobs, and the work got done quickly. He was proud to be saving money on property management. Denton tenants who rented from him were happy too since the work got done.
- Sam did not comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. A landlord cannot restrict or charge for service animals.
- Theresia failed to comply with habitability laws, including failure to urgently and effectively attend to any safety, mold, or structural/foundational issues.
- Erik hired unlicensed or improperly licensed maintenance company or individuals to handle repairs.
Make sure your Denton property management story does not end up in court. Specialized RPM can help you avoid these and dozens of other common legal mistakes landlords make unknowingly. Ignorance will not impress a judge. Documentation from your property management company with legal experts who understand the field, laws, codes, and ordinances will, however. Call today Specialized RPM today to learn more or visit www.specializedrpm.com to read about other common legal mistakes we can protect you from.